Labels

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Expand your circle.......


As I travel around and look at the current and real issues of the fire service, one issue that keeps becoming apparent to me is that members of the fire service stay very close to their own environment. That is to say if we are in a fire department we don't look outside our own department. If we are in a fire district we don't look outside our own district boundaries even within the same town in some cases. If we are a training organization we don't look beyond the way "we" do it here.

My message this week is pretty simple. Look outside your own organization for a variety of ideas. These ideas might include training, equipment, procedures, or even working conditions.

I don't say you should necessarily embrace every idea you encounter, because maybe some of them have some very good reasons why they can't work or won't work, or are too cost prohibitive for your department.

How do we do this you ask? Well that involves a little bit of personal effort. Go to training sessions outside of your department. Attend seminars and training sessions. Read trade journals and periodicals. Go on the web and look at what other organizations are doing and get a greater more global perspective of your job. Read textbooks on your profession.

Oh, I can hear it now......Well my department won't pay me overtime, or pay me to go. I am not subscribing to a magazine with my own money.... They should always train me while I am on duty.

You know what.....I hear those excuses all the time. That is just what they are; Excuses.
Your level of personal commitment to this job and profession are determined by you and nobody else. You want the city town and community to do everything and you do not want to accept any responsibility for your own destiny.

I can get 100 people to give me excuses....I just want a few that want to do the job. to the best of their abilities and for the right reasons.

Try your best to be that person.

Pete Lamb @ Copyright 2013
For information contact pete@petelamb.com